Monday, February 6, 2012

Sick

Well, I was on a roll, but have been really, really sick (all last week!) and so our eating has suffered. :( But, I'm feeling a little better and thought I'd update with some things we've made.

Oatmeal raisin cookies (GASP - cookies??!!!) How we modified: only all whole wheat flour, Rapadura/Sucanat instead of sugar - which is still sugar - just not refined. And since it is sugar we definitely limited our cookie consumption. As in - we each only ate ONE and froze the rest.

Steel Cut oats - the best I've ever had. Modified by using less butter, almond milk in place of the other milks, and no brown sugar. I added bananas, pecans, some unsweetened coconut and pure maple syrup after and it was delicious.

Granola - Doug is in love with this stuff. We changed it by cutting back on the sugar and maple syrup a little (didn't add the extra 2 Tbs). Also used the rapadura instead of brown sugar. Used unsweetened coconut, halved the oil and substituted unsweetened applesauce for the other 1/8 cup. And didn't add the cashews. Turned out FANTASTIC.

Pizza crust. Didn't modify it. I actually had to go borrow white sugar from my neighbor (my rapadura hadn't arrived yet) and I have to say this was the best pizza crust EVER. We used some really good, clean Central Market marinara sauce, fresh mozzarella (only way to go in my opinion), peppers, tomatoes, olives, and onions. It was SO YUMMY!

My friend has recently let me borrow her Moosewood Cookbook so hopefully I'll have some good recipes to post soon.

No matter what - I feel good about feeding my family real food. And even though we've added a little sugar back it's unprocessed and there's not much of it. I've also got this book checked out from the library right now and it has some recipes that look promising.

1 comment:

  1. I love that I've found YOUR blog!! How awesome are you?! You can count me as a follower for life! These posts are awesome!!! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete