Sunday, January 22, 2012

Dinner (and dessert)

Dinner was this. It was VERY good. Unfortunately I don't know how it would be without the cheese (darn cheese!). I've heard things about rice cheese and nutritional yeast, but haven't tried either yet. Also, I've never had stuffed peppers before, meaning - if I had grown up on stuffed peppers with meat inside, well, I'm not sure I would have liked them as much. I have nothing to compare them to - so they were very good.

Dessert was cookies from the Forks over Knives book. (The school cookies.) They are basically no-bake oatmeal cookies but without the sugar. :)

Doug is now making bread. Yay! Here's our bread recipe (done in a bread machine):

1 1/4 c. warm water
1/3 c. oil (I prefer olive oil, but canola is fine too.)
1/4 c. honey
4 c. flour (the original recipe calls for 2 c. wheat and 2 c. white.) I grind my own wheat (this is my wheat grinder and I really like it.) and use hard white spring wheat which makes a very light, very good bread. I use 4 c. ALL wheat.
1/2 T. salt
1 T. yeast

Put ingredients (in the order listed above) in to bread machine. Turn on dough cycle. When it's done shape your loaves and let rise for about 30 minutes. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 30 minutes. I usually get one really large loaf and one mini loaf - just to enjoy with some honey.

2 comments:

  1. hi steph. i made the granola from gracious pantry and the blueberry oatmeal muffins from teh Happy Herbivore. both were really good. actually, the muffins were awesome. i previously made the Maple muffins from the Happy Herbivore cookbook. they were ok but not amazing. i won't make them again. i also tried making the tex mex lasagna. not good (for me)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too bad that you didn't like it. Have you tried any other recipes from the Forks over Knives book? I've got to get that. And the Happy Herbivore one. I've been so sick and haven't made hardly anything the last week and a half.

    ReplyDelete